Ellen was one of my 1st clients when we started our fit camp here in Manchester. She was a size 16 and was desperate to get to a size 12 dress before her 40th birthday.
She had also spent a lot of time on diets and counting points as well as calories and couldn’t work out why she was struggling to lose any weight.
Apart from the fact that she was not eating enough and getting enough nutrients in her body there was one glaringly obvious thing that was jumping out from her food diary.
Changing this one thing was the main catalyst for getting her down to a size 12 and not feeling like a frumpy extra at her 40th birthday party.
She was drinking 6 cans of diet coke a day. Now six cans, that is the best part of 2 litres a day, which is enough to stop most peoples weight loss efforts dead in their tracks as well as overload the central nervous system due to the caffeine and the resulting cortisol.
“But Liam there is no sugar in diet coke and no calories” I can hear you saying. “So why is it that this can hinder our weight loss efforts?”
Well for starters the research says that people who drink diet drinks are more likely to be over weight than those who drink the full fat versions. Not only order xenical online australia that they can also put you at a greater risk of type 2 diabetes.
How can that be?
Well here is what a recent study discovered.
- Diet drinks increase your risk of diabetes more than sugary drinks. This increased risk is a huge 33% if you drink 1 can a day and an even more staggering 66% if you drink 2 cans a day.
- Most people who drink diet drinks also consume twice as much as those who drink the full fat versions because they are more addictive. This is because they contain sweeteners like aspartame that are hundreds of times sweeter than sugar. This makes us want to drink more because we are programmed to like sweet stuff.
- They make your body think that sugar is on the way which makes you pump out insulin which is a fat storage hormone and this means more belly fat.
- They also make you hungrier due to low blood sugar levels and make you crave starch carbs like bread and pasta.
- People who drink diet drinks are 3 times more likely to be over weight than those of us who don’t.
Might be worth having a think the next time you take your diet coke break and switch the soda for some water or even a fat burning green tea.